| September 20, 2017 |
– From August 18, 2017 in Tanzania, Africa –
Well, it was an interesting start to the day to say the least. I blew a fuse at L’Oasis lodge, sending the entire place into a light-flickering buzz, with sparks flying from the nearby electrical post. I figured it was a good idea to heat Bryson’s braces at the lodge and cut them with the EMT shears I had in my possession (heating makes it easier), but the embossing gun I had apparently couldn’t handle the voltage in Tanzanian outlets. I plugged the embossing heat gun into my transformer with what I THOUGHT was the appropriate voltage, turned it on, and–within 8 seconds–it sounded like the heat gun was going to takeoff like a rocket when a spark when flying out of the gun and I heard a *POP* at the same time the lights went out.
I opened the door to see that ALL the lights in the huts surrounding mine were flickering, in addition to the breakfast area. The nearby electrical pole didn’t look so happy, either… and I shamefully found an employee to let them know I was to blame. Fortunately, it was quickly resolved… but I was left with a broken heat gun, and no cut braces. Whoopsie. I’d have to muscle through cutting with the EMT shears once we got to SSLC.
I promise the day got better after my little incident. Today was our last day with the students at SSLC because tomorrow we’ll be with the teachers all day.